Click below link. This is where you will fill in your name , your topic and your Thesis statement.
Overview: You will write a good old fashion research paper on a topic of your choice. It can be a historical figure, a historical event, a sports team, or tractor manufacturer. This will be a THREE-page research paper. At least one of your sources must be from a book, as well as a source from an encyclopedia. This encyclopedia must not be from an actual book and not an online encyclopedia. You will have a total of 6 sources in all. You will also write your paper and cite your sources using the MLA style formula, which we have learned in class, (easybib).
Directions: Choose a topic and clear it with me. Do some research.
YOUR PROJECT WILL INCLUDE.
- Find information on your topic.
- Write a thesis statement. This we will work on in class.
- You will write an outline of your research paper. This outline will be due on TUES NOV. 25TH. I have included a sample outline for you to look at and read. That is attached to the end of this rubric.
- Write your first draft of your research paper. Fellow classmates will read your draft. Then you revise your draft and outline.
- You will go through the following checklist to make sure you have checked off all six points.
______ Is my thesis statement concise and clear?
______ Did I follow my outline? Did I miss anything?
______ Are my arguments presented in a logical sequence?
______ Are all sources properly cited to ensure that I am not plagiarizing?
______ Have I proved my thesis with strong supporting arguments?
______ Have I made my intentions and points clear in the essay?
- You will go through checklist #2 and make sure you have marked off all of the points.
_____Did I begin each paragraph with a proper topic sentence?
_____Have I supported my arguments with documented proof or examples?
_____Any run-on or unfinished sentences?
_____Any unnecessary or repetitious words?
_____Varying lengths of sentences?
_____Does one paragraph or idea flow smoothly into the next?
_____Any spelling or grammatical errors?
_____Quotes accurate in source, spelling, and punctuation?
_____Are all my citations accurate and in correct format?
_____Did I avoid using contractions? Use “cannot” instead of “can’t”, “do not” instead of “don’t”?
_____Did I use third person as much as possible? Avoid using phrases such as “I think”, “I guess”, “I suppose”
_____Have I made my points clear and interesting but remained objective?
- Then you will write and submit your final paper.
- Your paper will be written on Google Docs. It must be printed off.
- You will include a cover page, your outline, your paper, and your works cited page.
Writing a thesis statement:
- A thesis statement is a road map for your paper. In other words it tells the reader what to expect from the rest of the paper.
- It should also ask a question. For example why do I want to learn more about this historical figure?
use this model: __________________ because___________________ which is illustrated in _______________________
- For example writing a thesis for Abraham Lincoln would sound like this.
Abraham Lincoln’s early life to his Presidency had an important impact on America because of his work in bringing together a divided nation which is illustrated in his character, his social reform, his leadership during the Civil War, and his reconstruction ideas of America after the Civil War.
-Your paper will talk about Abraham Lincoln’s early life, his character, his ideas for America, such as his dislike of slavery(social reform), his leadership as he was a strong moral booster for the troops and kept his eye on the prize so to speak, and his ideas for life after slavery (reconstruction).
Another example: Case IH agriculture equipment has been helping farmers since 1984 because of their durability, friendly service, and agriculture leadership which is illustrated in its many Ae50 awards, excellent track record, years of service, and its thousands of locations across the world.
-Your paper will talk about Case and its durability, its service, agriculture leadership, its many awards, its track record, and many locations. Through this, you will do lots of research and find many statistics and sources that back all of this up.
- There are three different types of research papers. 1. An analytical research paper, an explanatory paper and argumentative paper. You are writing and explanatory paper. This means you are explaining something to your audience. In this specific case, you are explaining your topic to your audience.
You must click here to see a sample version of what I am looking for in the outline: Sample Outline
Go to this link to see your Research Paper Thesis Statements
History Grading Rubric
|Information: Do you have a good amount of written information about your topic.-did you follow the directions? -did you have accurate, appropriate info?- in your own words?||____________/30pts|
|Presentation: Is your information presented in a way that would be considered “quality work”?- done on time? -nice and neat? -eye-catching?-pictures, graphics, etc? – colorful? -creative? -final draft quality?||___________/30pts|
|Writing Quality: Is your information written with good quality?-capital Letters? -complete sentences?-correct spelling -punctuation- has a “voice” (in own words, fits the mood, etc.)||______________/30ptsTotal:___________/90pts|